Home

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

French Cane Back Dining Chairs





I had found these old unwanted dining chairs and wanted to try and do something really unique with them.  I cleaned them, took off the old disgusting fabric and went to work.  I mixed up some homemade chalk paint by using plaster of Paris and a little water and adding it to the paint. This was just a white paint that I had lying around from another project.  







The before...the lines were great on these chairs, I knew the caning would look amazing painted.





After painting them white, I dry brushed a light gray over them to give the, a timeworn, antique French feel.  Then, using my sander I went to town on sanding all the edges.




I went on my computer and printed out the numbers and letters in the font that I liked, then I used a craypas crayon to color the back of the paper giving me in essence a carbon copy. Then I taped the image onto the area I wanted and traced with a red ball point pen. This lets the color from the craypas show through on to the chair. 






Then I took black paint and I filled in the tracing! Every chair had a different number.




When the chairs were all complete I waxed them with Johnson's paste wax and buffed them to give them protection.






I finally covered the chairs with drop cloth that I had prewashed. 













No comments:

Post a Comment