Home

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Paris Gray Desk




Paris Gray Chalk Painted Desk

I found this desk not such bad shape, but I knew that I wanted to refinish the top and leave it wood while painting and glazing the body.  So, I used a couple of different kinds of stripper to remove the the old varnish, and with a lot of elbow grease finally the layers melted off.  It was missing a little trim on one of the drawers but luckily a chopstick cut on an angle did the trick!  I used 4-5 coats of a mahogany colored furniture wax to seal the top. Luckily, the desk came with a thick piece of beveled glass so the top could be protected.  As for the rest of the piece, I mixed up my own chalk paint in a color as close to Annie Sloan's Paris Gray as I could.  I applied 3-4 coats or so, sanded and then used Valspar's glazing medium I picked up at Lowe's.  I brushed it on, and then wiped off with a clean damp rag leaving more in the crevices.  I finished with clear Briwax, brushed on with a big stippling brush I had leftover from my faux finishing days and buffed off. I think it came out fantastic! I have a chair that will be done in a day or two and I will post photos.   Here is the before and after....

Before....













After...

















I'd love to know what you think!

2 comments: